Moissanite is a gemstone that is rapidly gaining popularity as an alternative to diamonds. It is a man-made crystal that closely resembles a diamond in appearance and hardness but is much more affordable. Moissanite was first discovered in 1893 in a crater created by a meteorite in Arizona by French scientist Henri Moissan. Since then, it has been extensively researched and developed into a beautiful gemstone that is favored by those who value both beauty and value. In recent years, moissanite has become a highly sought-after choice for engagement rings and other fine jewelry due to its unique properties and affordability.
What Are the Properties of Moissanite?
Moissanite stone is a unique gemstone that has several interesting properties. Here are some of the most notable ones:
- Moissanite Hardness: Moissanite gemstone is an incredibly hard gemstone, with a score of 9.25 on the Mohs scale. This means that it is highly resistant to scratches and chipping, making it a great choice for everyday wear.
- Moissanite Brilliance: Moissanite has a higher refractive index than diamonds, which means that it is more brilliant and sparkly. It also has a higher dispersion, which means that it can split light into more colors than a diamond.
- Moissanite Color: Unlike diamonds, moissanite stone is not graded on a color scale. However, it typically appears colorless or near-colorless, and some moissanites may exhibit a slight tinge of yellow or green.
- Moissanite Durability: Moissanite is extremely durable and resistant to high temperatures. In fact, it can withstand temperatures of up to 2000 degrees Celsius without damage.
- Moissanite Affordability: Moissanite is much more affordable than diamonds of similar size and quality, making it a great choice for those who are looking for a beautiful and budget-friendly alternative to diamond jewelry.
- Moissanite Clarity: Moissanite is a very clear gemstone that is nearly free of inclusions and blemishes. This gives it a flawless appearance that is highly sought after in fine jewelry.
- Eco-Friendly: Unlike diamonds, moissanite is a lab-created gemstone. This means that it requires fewer resources to produce and does not have some of the ethical concerns associated with traditional diamond mining.
- Versatility: Moissanite is very versatile and can be used in a wide range of jewelry styles. It is available in a variety of cuts, sizes, and shapes, making it easy to find the perfect moissanite gemstone for any occasion.
What Are the Varieties of Moissanite?
There are three popular varieties of Moissanite available in the market that have different levels of brilliance, clarity, and color.
- Forever One Moissanite: It is the most premium quality Moissanite variety, which is colorless and comes with a higher level of brilliance and fire. The Forever One Moissanite is the most expensive among the three varieties, but it is often considered as an excellent alternative to a natural diamond.
- Forever Brilliant Moissanite: The Forever Brilliant Moissanite is a more affordable option than Forever One, and it has a slightly yellow or grayish hue. It also has a high level of brilliance and fire, making it an excellent choice for those who want a more budget-friendly yet high-quality gemstone.
- Forever Classic Moissanite: The Forever Classic Moissanite is the most affordable of all the Moissanite varieties. It has a slight yellow or green tinge and a lower level of brilliance when compared to the other two varieties. This lower brilliance can make it appear more like a traditional cubic zirconia than the traditional diamond-like appearance of Forever One or Forever Brilliant Moissanite.
How Are Moissanite Measured?
Moissanite is usually measured by its carat weight, just as diamonds and other gemstones are. Carat weight is a measure of a gemstone’s weight, with one carat equivalent to 0.2 grams.
In addition to carat weight, moissanite can also be measured by its size in millimeters. However, the size of a moissanite gemstone may not always correspond directly with its carat weight due to variations in cut, depth, and other factors that can affect a gemstone’s appearance and weight.
It’s also worth noting that moissanite is a very durable gemstone, rating 9.25 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness (diamonds are rated 10), which makes it a popular alternative to diamonds for engagement rings and other jewelry.
Moissanite Price Guide
Moissanite is generally less expensive than diamonds, although prices can vary depending on the quality, cut, and size of the stone. If you want to buy moissnaite in Jaipur then it will be less expensive for you because as we know Jaipur is the hub of Gemstones and Diamond. Here price starts from Rs.1000/ Per carat.
It is always important to remember that prices can vary depending on factors such as the cut, clarity, and color of the moissanite, as well as the setting it is placed in. When purchasing moissanite, be sure to buy from a reputable dealer to ensure the quality of the stone.